For individuals at our Comprehensive Treatment Centers, individual therapy is one of the core components that helps them recover from their addictions and achieve long-term recovery.
When an individual becomes addicted to a substance, the physical act of using the drug is often at the end of a long line of difficulties and underlying emotional issues. While it is true that the chemical action of an addictive substance is partly responsible for the power it holds over individuals, the disease of addiction is often far more complicated and requires deep emotional work in order to heal. Because of these underlying emotional issues, individual therapy at a patient’s local Comprehensive Treatment Center can be a powerful aid to his or her recovery.
Individual Therapy Overview
At our Comprehensive Treatment Centers, individual therapy consists of regular one-on-one meetings with counselors. Effective therapy can help individuals in a number of different ways. Some of the benefits of therapy include:
- Gaining insight, making connections, and developing new perspectives regarding the underlying causes of addiction in a patient’s life
- Providing a safe place for individuals to process through past trauma and pain and exploring how those issues have affected the person’s present-day addiction
- Building healthier habits and effective coping skills that can allow patients to manage stress and negative emotions without needing to turn to substances for relief
- Planning ahead and developing strategies for how individuals can maintain their recovery when confronted with threatening situations that may have caused them to turn to substances in the past
- Time to reflect on progress in treatment and work through successes and setbacks in the treatment process
Benefits of Individual Therapy
Building a patient’s knowledge about his or her own emotions, behaviors, and reasons for certain life choices, and increasing his or her ability to recognize those elements in his or her daily life, can be extremely helpful for individuals who are seeking to overcome long-term substance abuse problems. By becoming more thoughtful and reflective in the process of therapy, patients are able to think about the choices that they make and the emotions that they feel instead of simply reacting to situations in their lives.
Many people who receive individual therapy experience a range of benefits, such as:
- Improved self-esteem
- Increased sense of self-awareness
- Increased self-confidence
- Reduced stress
- Greater understanding of their own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors
These benefits, and the many others that can come from regular therapy, can serve as a strong foundation for a fully-recovered, substance-free life.
Across all of our Comprehensive Treatment Centers, we believe that individual therapy is a critical component of successful substance abuse treatment. When individuals are attempting to overcome opioid addictions, regular meetings with a counselor can allow patients to become more emotionally secure and better able to follow through on the progress that they make during treatment. Our skilled and compassionate counselors regularly check in with patients and discuss how treatment is progressing. These counselors are tireless in their dedication to providing a safe and healing space for patients in their care, and they have extensive training and experience that enables them to help individuals who are trying to overcome addictions to opioids.
At our Comprehensive Treatment Centers, we provide care that can help each person who comes to heal with us to get back in touch with their lives and themselves. Opioid abuse can devastate lives, but it is never too late to begin to rebuild. With the help of our counselors and the individual therapy that they provide, people who are struggling to attain long-term recovery can receive the support and knowledge that they need to finally live healthier lives. If you or someone you love might benefit from the care that we provide, contact your local Comprehensive Treatment center right away. There is no sense in waiting to begin the healing process.